Oceans are essential to human survival and prosperity and yet human activities are pushing many critical marine species toward extinction. The best way to maintain the oceans’ diversity, abundance and resilience is to protect marine life in their ecosystems.
The Global Ocean Refuge System (GLORES, pronounced glôr-ees) is an initiative by Marine Conservation Institute designed to catalyze strong protection for at least 20% of the ecosystems in each marine biogeographic region of the world’s oceans by 2030. It is a strategic, science-based way to safeguard marine ecosystems and will enable humans to recover marine life for us and future generations.
Currently only about 2% of the ocean is protected, and less than 1% is strongly protected in “no-take” reserves where humans are not allowed to extract fish, oil or other resources. Marine scientists recommend strong protection for 20-30% of our oceans to save marine life from extinction. Please get involved with GLORES today and be a part of the growing team working to catalyze strong protection for marine life!
The first Global Marine Protected Areas Partner Summit was held in Redlands, California November 2015. The meeting was convened by Marine Conservation Institute and hosted by Esri, the world’s leading vendor of geographic information systems, to bring together marine conservation organizations and prominent scientists, including Dr. Sylvia Earle, to explore opportunities for collaboration and new tools for enhancing marine protected area efforts around the world. The two-day meeting focused on the Global Ocean Refuge System (GLORES) initiative as a leading tool to support global conservation efforts and catalyze strong protection for the world’s oceans. Check out the Summit Outcomes report!
Click here to see what Marine Conservation Institute President Dr. Lance Morgan says about the Global Ocean Refuge System in a CNN OpEd.
10 Ways You Can Help Make GLORES a Reality
We need your help to make GLORES a reality. Below is a list of several ways you can help.
- Become a GLORES partner
- Introduce us to prospective partners, supporters and donors
- Make a gift to GLORES
- Post links to globaloceanrefuge.org on your website
- Mention GLORES to the media, in your presentations and on your social media channels
- Promote strong and effective marine protected areas, the types GLORES seeks to secure
- Connect us with marine protected area activities in different locations around the world
- Share your research on marine protected areas with us
- Become an editor/contributor to MPAtlas, an interactive resource to learn more about marine protected areas around the world
- Join the GLORES newsletter list and get the latest updates delivered straight to your inbox
Or email Marine Conservation Institute president, Dr. Lance Morgan, at: [email protected]