Please include references, links, and documents in the relevant comment boxes, or at the end of the nomination survey, in order to help document biodiversity significance and management of the MPA.
NOMINEE & CONTACT INFORMATION
Identify the full name of the Marine Protected Area you are nominating for provisional Global Ocean Refuge System membership:
List any other names used to refer to this Marine Protected Area:
MPAtlas or World Database on Protected Areas (WDPA) ID or URL (if known):
MPA website URL (if available):
Managing agency or organization:
Please provide us with your contact information. (If you are not the manager of the marine protected area, you will be asked for the manager’s contact information as well.)
Phone Number (including country code):
List any non-governmental organizations that are partners in the designation or management of this MPA.
How large is the MPA in km2?
List the marine ecosystems protected in this MPA alongside their coverage area (if known) in square kilometers.
Identify the biodiversity value of the site by checking all the descriptions that apply (must have at least one to qualify as a Global Ocean Refuge candidate site).
- Area includes high species richness
- Area protects many species endemic to the region
- Area has been or is predicted to provide refuge from climate change impacts
- Area includes important habitat for endangered or vulnerable species (identified by the IUCN Red List or by national or state legislation), including permanent habitat, habitat for a particular life history stage, breeding area, feeding area, assembly area, or migration pathway
- Designated by Convention on Wetlands of International Importance (Ramsar)
- Designated Important Bird Area (IBA)
- Designated Hope Spot
- Designated Specially Protected Area and Wildlife (SPAW) in the Wider Caribbean Region
- Designated Natura 2000 Special Protection Area (SPA) or Special Area of Conservation (SAC)
Please provide materials to support your answers above, including:
- Maps or GIS files that show MPA boundaries, ecosystems, distributions of important species, bathymetry, or other oceanographic features
- Management documents that include site descriptions, species lists or monitoring results
- Scientific journal article citations that provide information regarding habitat, biodiversity, and/or species in the site
You may upload the files using the button below, provide URL links in the comment box, or email them to [email protected]
IMPLEMENTATION & MANAGEMENT
Please describe the government (national, state, local) that designated the MPA as well as the legislation under which it was designated. If the MPA is not legally gazetted or designated by a government (as in the case of some locally managed marine areas), please describe the decision-making process and the decision-makers who designated the MPA.
Were indigenous peoples' rights recognized in the designation and implementation of the MPA? Please identify the indigenous peoples historically and currently in the region of the MPA.
When (in what year) was the MPA implemented? If there have been significant changes to the size or regulations of the MPA, please describe when these changes took place.
Is enhancing the biodiversity value of the area a primary goal of the MPA? If so, please indicate the document that states this goal.
Is the MPA designation permanent or does it require a renewal process? If it requires a renewal process, how often must it be renewed?
Does the MPA have an active management plan? When was the management plan most recently updated?
Does the management plan identify specific conservation targets or goals that are measurable? Please indicate the pages of the management plan on which these goals are identified.
Does the management plan identify threats to the ecosystems in the MPA? Please indicate the pages of the management plan on which these threats are listed.
Does the management plan identify management actions intended to mitigate the threats and achieve the conservation goals of the MPA? Please identify the page numbers of the management plan on which these activities are described.
Does regular ecological monitoring occur in the MPA to track threats and measure progress towards conservation goals? Please summarize what is measured and how often it is measured. Please also identify where the ecological monitoring program is described (in the management plan or another document). Are monitoring data summarized in any reports or scientific papers?
How are the regulations of the MPA enforced? Please indicate which document describes the enforcement activities in the MPA. Do managers monitor infractions from year to year? Would you rate the enforcement of regulations in the MPA as consistent and effective or inconsistent?
Does the MPA have a staff and annual budget? How many people are on the staff? How large is the annual budget, where does the money come from, and how consistent is it from year to year? How is the budget allocated?
Do the managers of the MPA partner with other organizations or individuals to extend their capacity? If so, please describe these partnerships and how they add to management or enforcement capacity.
Is the local community engaged in the management of the MPA? Please describe this engagement.
Please upload the following documents to support your answers regarding implementation and effective management:
- Current management plan
- Ecological monitoring plan (if separate from management plan)
- Any reports or scientific papers summarizing ecological monitoring data
- Enforcement plan (if separate from management plan)
- MPA budget (if accessible)
You may upload these documents using the button below, paste web links to the documents in the text box, or email these documents to [email protected]
Does this marine protected area have zones with different regulations? If so, please indicate the number of zones (if two areas within the site have the same set of regulations, please consider them one regulatory zone).
- No - the regulations are the same throughout the site
- Yes - 2 zones
- Yes - 3 zones
- Yes - 4 zones
- Yes - 5 zones
Please describe the zones included in this marine protected area in the text box below. Include the regulatory differences between the zones as well as their sizes (including units of measurement).
If you have maps or geospatial data (GIS) files that includes the boundaries of the zones within the protected area, please upload them using the buttons below, or provide links to them in the text box.
What types of extractive activities are allowed within the protected area? Check all gear types that are allowed within the protected area. If activities are allowed with a permit, please use the comments box below to list those activities, describe the permitting process, and indicate how many permits are granted annually.
- No extraction allowed
- Beach seining
- Cast nets
- Digging/dredging (bivalves)
- Drift nets
- Fish traps (including "madrague")
- Hand harvesting - sea weeds
- Intertidal capture/harvest - animals
- Lines (jigs, hook and line, rod, troll)
- Longlines (bottom)
- Longlines (pelagic)
- Purse seining (bottom)
- Purse seining (pelagic)
- Surrounding nets near shore
- Trammel nets
- Traps (lobster/octopus/crab)
- Trawl (bottom)
- Trawl (pelagic)
- Other: (specify)
Which types of other activities are allowed within the protected area? If activities are allowed with a permit, please use the comments box below to list those activities, describe the permitting process, and indicate how many permits are granted annually.
- Anchoring (unrestricted)
- Anchoring (restricted)
- Mooring buoys are maintained and may be used
- Recreational boating
- Scientific collecting
- Aquaculture (list species farmed)
- Wind farms
- Dedging or sand/gravel mining
- Military operations (describe)
- Oil or gas exploration/production
- Wave or tidal energy
- Other bottom exploitation (specify)
Please provide documentation of the regulations you have described (you may upload a file or you may provide a working web link in the comment box).
Is there any other information about the MPA you would like to share? Feel free to use the upload button to submit any additional documents or scientific literature or the comment box to include any additional information. Thank you!